Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day 3: Au Natural


 A new outlook on the way I view food and the way I eat was born today. Along with a doctor's recommendation, I've cut out any foods with artificial flavoring, food coloring, and preservatives. Basically anything with preservatives. Now, this cuts out most processed and pre-packaged foods because they are loaded with preservatives and things ( or "ingredients") with names that I can't pronounce (I'll do a post on this topic later... its very interesting). Researching and reading up on this was enlightening and definitely woke me up to various things about what we really put in our mouths. This is NOT a diet or weight loss plan, its a way of life that will help with some symptoms of my disorder. I want my unique body and mind to be healthy, happy, satisfied, and at its potential best. Whole, fresh, natural foods, cookies and pasteries made from scratch, homemade meals... I'm not the least bit limited. Not to mention my cooking skills are about to become amazing... watch it Nigella :) I spent my free time scouring my mom's collection of Cooking Light mags and cut out about 100 meal and dessert recipes. Tomorrow I get to do it all over again (...fun...).

 Let me tell you, I was dreading going grocery shopping this afternoon but surprisingly it wasn't hard. I mean it! It took a little longer then usual and I couldn't buy some of the things I normally do. Harmless. Trader Joe's is especailly great to shop at. My lunch (above) consisted of homemade zaatar chicken, store bought baba ghanouj and tabouli. Rounded it out with some reading of The Kite Runner,  blackberries and iced sangria al fresco. The hedonist in me is loving this already. Here's to new beginnings! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment